I know, I’ve been missing for a LONG TIME. But I’ve figured out the formula: If I’m MIA, it means something exciting is brewing. So I’m sitting in bed this morning and have to get up soon, but thought I’d give a brief run-down of everything that’s happened since May when I last posted:
- Stopped working at InLingua for visa reasons (they prefer, for tax reasons, either people in my situation with a student visa or freelancers)
- Went to Malcesine with Juan!!!
- Got hired for another job, part time, but it was good enough that I could request to convert my student visa into a work visa
- Got interviewed for another job as an in-house translator, reviser and English teacher. But this one offers a full-time permanent contract, AND they’ve made concessions so that I can keep Sabbath!! Praise the Lord!
- Got hired for said job.
- Went to the lake with Valerio. After my first summer here, I’m understanding better why Italians love the sun. Definitely needed the vitamin D.
- Waited FOREVER for my visa to get approved, and apparently the guy in the prefecture was sick for like 2 months, so my approved visa was sitting on his desk unbeknownst to me since mid-July, and here I was freaking out that there was a problem!
- Moved out of my apartment in Verona (PTL!!) and in with a friend in Treviglio, at least short-term until I get my first couple of paychecks, then I’ll find my OWN apartment!! MWAHAHAHAHAH!!
- Started work!
So that’s where I am now. Today will be my 2nd day of work. I can already tell I’m going to get antsy, because it involves a LOT of sitting. I’ve put the question out on FB and advice from friends is coming in for how to stay active. I’ve been given my first class on Thursday, where I’m subbing for a teacher who’s on holiday.
I can’t wait until I find my own place close to work. Treviglio is only in the province of Bergamo, so to get there I have to travel 30 minutes by train, and yesterday there was a fire on the rails, so a lot of trains were cancelled. Thank God by the time I got to the station trains were running again, but for a minute I truly thought I was going to have to sleep in the office.
So that’s it for now! I have a few videos that are in the works, I just have to sit down and DO THEM. So you will see that it hasn’t all been work, I’ve made time for fun too 🙂 This weekend I want to go to Bergamo Alto, so I’ll film a bit there and hopefully have that video up in a timely manner.